Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Happy Belated Birthday, Hugh Laurie!

I didn't realize it, but Hugh Laurie's birthday is the day before mine!  He turned 52 last Saturday.

Raise your hand if you knew who Hugh Laurie was before he was Dr. Gregory House with an American accent?

To celebrate, here are two of my favorite clips of his fantastic sense of humor:



My personal favorites of his many, many roles:

As the grumpy Mr. Palmer in Sense and Sensibility, 1995

As the King's Advisor in The Man In The Iron Mask, 1998

Alongside the incomparable Rowan Atkinson in BBC's comedy Blackadder
As Mr. Little in Stuart Little, 1999

As the irritatingly smug, yet always brilliantly correct Dr. Gregory House on House
Happy Birthday, Mr. Laurie!


5 comments:

  1. *raises hand*

    Hugh Laurie is absolutely brilliant in the sketch comedy series A Bit of Fry and Laurie. I LOVE that show. But my favorite of his roles is as Bertie Wooster in Jeeves and Wooster. He was born to play the part.

    Happy birthday to Hugh and you!

    By the way, I've awarded you The Versatile Blogger Award. Stop by my blog to pick it up:

    http://subcreator.blogspot.com/2011/06/blog-awards-of-doom.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew who he was, but didn't know that I knew who he was. Does that count? I had one of those moments, when I saw House for the first time, when I said, "Hey! That's that guy! From that show! You know!" :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sarah!

    I know what your mean, Su! I did that with James Fleet in a bunch of things. Saw him in BBC version of Little Dorrit with Matthew Macfadyen and it hit me between the eyes that he was John Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility AND Hugo in Vicar of Dibley. (and some other things, but mostly those.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugh Laurie also plays the blues. We all know how I feel about the blues. If you don't - swing by my blog and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite things is to rediscover current 'stars' as they progressed through their performing history. I've loved everything Laurie does because he totally disappears into his characters and creates unforgettable scenes. And, I love that he plays such fantastic piano. Happy belated birthdays to both of you.

    ReplyDelete