Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Double Feature! You're welcome.

I know that last week's Poetry Wednesday also came from the pen of the inimitable Ogden Nash, but I'll be honest about the source:

While the children were away on holiday last week, I got the chance to actually spend more than 5 minutes inside the local library.  As in, browsing the shelves to see if anything caught my eye!  A rarity!  I happened upon a marvelous tome titled "The Best of Ogden Nash, 548 Favorite Poems From America's Laureate of Light Verse".  I remembered that Nash had written verses to accompany a favorite musical piece of mine, The Carnival of the Animals by Camille Saint-Saens.

I decided to see what else Nash's imagination had created.

Here are two that I especially like, from the chapter called "A Nashional [sic] Menagerie".  Enjoy!

(Source unknown)


The Phoenix
Deep in the study
Of eugenics
We find that fabled
Fowl, the Phoenix.
The wisest bird
As ever was,
Rejecting other
Mas and Pas,
It lays one egg,
Not ten or twelve,
And when it's hatched
Out pops itselve.






Wonderful Art by Dot at Dabbled.com






The Octopus
Tell me, O Octopus, I begs,
Is those things arms, or is they legs?
I marvel at thee, Octopus;
If I were thou, I'd call me Us.

1 comment:

  1. fun, silly poems w/some great artwork! thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete