Thursday, January 6, 2011

How Many Movies??!


I wish it were possible to calculate the number of movies I've watched in my life. I wonder if I can even begin to make a rough estimate. Wait! Maybe Google can show me a website with a mathematical equation for that....

Well, not exactly, but close. Here's a Yahoo Q&A about it, with the best answer being written by a 23 year old who did all the math. Her calculations are for how much total time is spent watching movies in general, but I'm more after how many movies total, as in how many titles, no matter how many times I've seen it. But the math concept is a pretty good guide.

I'm 29, so I'll give it a go:
She watches 5 movies a week, but I don't think I watch that many. I'm going to say, for the sake of argument, that I watch 10 new (that I have not seen before) movies per month, whether new releases or just new to me. So,
10 movies per month on average
10 movies/month multiplied by 12 months in a year = 120 movies a year.
Started watching movies around age 5, so i have watched movies for 24 years.
24 years of movie watching multiplied by 120 movies a year = 2,880 movies so far that i have watched on average.

She goes on to calculate the time, but that gives me a pretty solid idea of how many films I've seen up to this point, give or take a few. Nearly 3,000 films. That's a lot of screen time and popcorn! :)

I have a specific reason for wanting to know a general number, but that will have to wait until the next post. I've run out of writing time and must get the house cleaned and sorted. It's still a wreck from the post-present-unwrapping-now-we-all-have-more-stuff-and-nowhere-to-put-it fun that happened 2 weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment