Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's HOT!!!


I can't remember it ever being this sticky and uncomfortably hot this early in the year in Georgia.  Ever.  I grew up having to play outside all day instead of lounging around the house, and I also spent my late summers (August-ish) in my high school days at band camp, learning the drill on the painted lines of the school's parking lot.  The sweat poured down our faces and between our shoulder blades, and we felt our arms and the backs of our legs blister and bake in the afternoon sun as the sunscreen we had so carefully slathered on began to slough off over the course of the day.  My black resin clarinet, with it's metal keys, burned my fingers and I held it gingerly, not wanting the sizzling thing any closer to me than it had to be.

It was hard work.  It was uncomfortable and icky.  But I can't ever remember any of us whining or complaining or ever saying "It's just too hot!"  Or if we did, we acknowledged that it was August in GA and that seemed to explain it all.  But it's not August.  It's barely even June.

This I could possibly handle at 97 degrees Fahrenheit. 

This... Not So Much.
I turn 30 on Sunday.  Is it that I'm getting older and my body simply can't make the temperature adjustments as quickly and easily as it used to anymore?  Or is it that I've spent more time in the last decade in the comfort of air conditioning and no longer have the heat tolerance I once had built up?
Gran just had to have the downstairs AC fixed (the 30 year old motor finally gave out).  It had been running and running but staying at 85. :(

Whatever the case for me not being able to just roll with it, it's HOT!  So I reached waaaaay back into my childhood (All 20 years ago. ;) Yep, I'm still just a baby.) and pulled out this Shel Silverstein favorite for Poetry Wednesday.

Y'all try and stay cool.  And if you have any rain, send it down this way!

IT'S HOT
From "A Light In The Attic"
By Shel Silverstein


It's hot!
I can't get cool.
I've drunk a quart of lemonade.
I think I'll take my shoes off
And sit around in the shade.

It's hot!
My back is sticky.
The sweat rolls down my chin
Think I'll take my clothes off
And sit around in my skin.

It's hot!
I've tried with 'lectric fans
And pools and ice cream cones.
I think I'll take my skin off
And sit around in my bones.

It's still hot!

2 comments: