Saturday, April 23, 2011

This, That and The Other

I was going to use 'U' on Monday for 'Update' to fill in all of the things I'm doing and dealing with recently, but today's title appealed to me and seems to be a good thing to post, so here it is.

I'm still working on costumes for Selma, but (as usual) it looks as though it will be down to the wire.  We'll see what happens.  Either I finish all of the many sewing things I am doing and I look awesome, or I don't and awesomeness evades me for a while longer and I'm just an overzealous seamstress who took on too much for too short a deadline.  It's as simple as that.  I'm aiming for the awesomeness though!!! :)

Tomorrow, as well as being Easter, is my Dad's Mom's birthday.  Today we went over to my aunt's house and celebrated with them.  My aunt is amazing.  She had two kinds of cakes (from scratch- no box mixes in her house, EVER), lemon and strawberry, and she had treats for the kids and had us hide eggs for them to hunt in her garden.  She rocks!  Jeremy and Grandmama played parcheesi, which Grandmama enjoyed very much.  I'm looking forward to being able to see her more often since she lives closer now.

Grandmama passed a treasured item along to me today, too- in the move from Blue Ridge to here, she found an old book called "Poems of Childhood" by Eugene Field that she used to read to me, when I was a very little girl.  My favorites are "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod" and one called "The Duel", which is about a fight between the gingham dog and the calico cat.


Before we went to see Grandmama, though, I did a photo shoot of senior portraits (session one of two!). I got 800 shots in 3 hours and we had loads of fun.  I think they will be very pleased with the results.
I have picked out a few already that will be going in my portfolio!  So happy! :)  They will be back over tomorrow afternoon after Easter services and family time.  Looking forward to even more great pictures!!

That's pretty much been my weekend, other than yesterday our new mattress was delivered!  I slept very soundly last night and I'm looking forward to repeating that over and over again from here on out!!!

The only bad thing of today is that I managed to offend a good friend while trying to help.  It's in my nature to correct written things.  Seeing Facebook feeds with the wrong your/you're and their/there/they're drives me NUTS.  That wasn't what I corrected, and yes, I probably should have just let the mistake ride.  But if I use a wrong word, I like to be told the right usage so I don't look uneducated and I forget that not everyone is sensitive about it like I am.  So.  There's that.  I don't think I deserved to have my head bitten off.  But maybe I did.  Maybe I seriously deserved what I got.  I'm not sure which one it is, but I'm not going to let the incident ruin the rest of my evening.

What about you?  Has there been a time when you offered a correction out of habit when you should have kept your mouth shut?

Well, that's it for my 'T' post.  I'm off to get kids in bed and edit the first batch of photos and then it's off to bed for me too- Sunrise Easter Church service in the morning!!!!  So excited!

Everyone have a Happy Easter Sunday tomorrow!  I may post a special entry, but I may not- it depends on time.  If you live in West Georgia, come on out to Union Grove Baptist in Lithia Springs and join us! 7 a.m. on the steps outside.

2 comments:

  1. My mother, and your Grandmother, have the same birthday! You can see her Birthday Dinner on my facebook page. Did y'all take pictures at your Grandmother's? I have just had the EXACT thing happen to me. Someone related by marriage, I won't name names, has started a business. She sent out a link to her website. The VERY paragraph, even the first sentence, is TERRIBLE. She uses mismatched subjects and verbs,misspellings, comparing two things that aren't comparable (and don't even make sense.) I wrote a VERY respectful e-mail about knowing how she has excellent products, and I'm sure she wants her website to reflect that excellence, etc. I told her I noticed a couple of errors, including a misspelled word that she had in BOLD CAPS in the first paragraph, and I'd glad to go over those things with her, if she wanted me to, since I'm a Journalist by degree, as well as a professional editor. I felt like I bent WAY over backwards not to offend. She initially acted like she appreciated my offer to help, and acknowledged the initial mistakes, corrected ONE misspelling, and asked me to meet with her, and not charge her, since she is "family." When I called her, thirty minutes after she told me she would be at my house, she told me she wasn't coming. told me she had paid somebody a lot of money to come up with what she had on her website, and she was going to let them take care of it. Nothing was done about any of the mess, and that's been a couple of months ago! The copy is VERY verbose and amateurish. About every third Facebook post she sends out has either a misspelling, something grammatically incorrect, or both. I decided it was not worth my time to worry about it, if she wants to appear uneducated and ignorant, it's fine with me! So, in answer to your question, yes, "I offered a correction, and should have kept my mouth shut." Now, I'm, yet again, on her family's "bad list" for being critical of her and her website, etc. etc. I was simply trying to help her make a better impression, and look more professional I say you and I get "brownie points" for trying to help our friends, even if they didn't really want it! I know I've sent you corrections, and I'd hope you'd do the same for me! I'm like you--I want to learn from others and become a better writer. If I have mistakes, I want to know, too! HAPPY EASTER! p.s. Loved those same poems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter! I'm so glad to have found your beautiful blog! I'm stopping by from the A to Z challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    ReplyDelete