Saturday, October 8, 2011

What's In Your Mailbox? Part 1:Stationery Addiction

Confession: I am a stationery hoarder.  I have been since I was old enough to write. (1st Grade, people. 1st Grade!)  It started with Lisa Frank kits. Do you remember those??  I had stationery sets with
Roxi and Rollie:

And with this guy:

After that I couldn't help myself.  I am a complete stationery addict.  I'm always finding notecard sets, pretty papers with matching envelopes, and desk accessories that I can't live without.  Michael's has notecards that change out every season in their $1.50 impulse racks near the registers.  Ross has an entire section in their Housewares department of boxed stationery sets for $5 and under.

And then there is Crane & Co., a glorious stationers who have a store at Lenox mall, where I used to shop after class during my college days.  Crane is where I got my feather quills and inks, seals and sealing wax. They no longer carry these old fashioned items, as they are specialty and not often in demand, but heavens, how I made use of it when they did!  I still use them for fine papers, though, when I can.  

Here is an amazing online supplier, Nostalgic Impressions, for all of those lovely writing tools of yesteryear.

My point is, there are a million and one sources for pretty papers, and all of the accoutrements that come with.  (And PENS!  I'm a pen addict too!  I must have at least 500 pens to choose from.  No lie.)  Add to that, my post office is literally 2 miles away (5 minutes by car!) from where I live.  This is an intoxicating combination. :)  Very recently, I rearranged things in my room and finally got all of my writing things together at one desk.  Are you ready for this?  (Please don't judge me.)

It looks all innocent on the outside:


On top is my new Wicked mug which, instead of being used for tea like I had originally intended, has been on hand to catch the latest group of pens.  This represents about 1/100th of the pens I own.


Inside the desk reveals the fact that I have stationery issues.  Many, many issues.


Yep.  All of the section on the right is packs of notecards.


The drawers reveals my box of seals and sealing waxes, and a couple bottles of ink.  And more pens.  And a special item of interest that will be explored in tomorrow's post!


It doesn't end there.  The shelves behind the doors hold even more papers, and another 5% of my pens.  (The rest are in other drawers and spaces in my room, and there is about 10% of the total collection residing in my purses.)



So now that you've seen the proof that I need a 12 step program, the question is, what am I doing with all of it?  I'm so glad you asked!  I am using it.  Perhaps not as fast as I am accruing it, but it is serving its designed purpose.  I'm writing letters!  LOTS and LOTS of letters!

And with that, dear readers, I leave you until tomorrow's post, where I will explore where those letters are going, events tied into it, and more!

Happy Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. I'm a stationery addict, too, but I don't seem to have it quite as badly as you! My hubby is the pen fiend in the Cheeky house. I finally put the same restriction on both of us a few years back: No buying any new stuff until the old is depleted. So far, so good. And I write a lot of letters that way, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried that with the pens, but failed miserably. :) I do USE all of the pens, though, and toss them when they are empty, so at least I don't have any in the hoard that are just taking up space! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fellow stationary addict. Yay! I have a lot of stationary that I love. The problem is I love it so much I tend to end up keeping it and not sending it. Nothing seems worthy of writing on them lol. I've never emptied a pen bc i change pens so often then eventually they get lost.

    There is something amazing about letters. The doodles, handwriting, stickers, stationary designs. I used to what Su said but once i discovered etsy i started buying so much stationary.

    ReplyDelete